Hello dear surfers,
Hope you had an awesome break! Today, I want to take a closer look at one of my favorite social knowledge communities (SKC), Pinterest. When we think of Pinterest, it's easy to picture everything from yummy recipes to cute crafts. But due to it's interface and features, researchers have explored how it could be used beyond a more traditional social media platform. In a paper by Sihua et al (2018), how early career teachers could employ Pinterest for curated mathematics curricula and instructional resources. Their findings suggest that Pinterest serves as a valuable SKC for teachers to share and curate instructional resources, but there is an existing imbalance in the quality and type of mathematics tasks curated, as the tasks themselves and cognitive demands don't align. I think this study does provide an interesting opportunity, which is repurposing certain platforms to serve both students and teachers! Specially in terms of resources, as Pinterest is known for being a living data archive. Overall, researchers also noted that they didn't consider social network analysis within their study. This makes me wonder, could other platforms such as Instagram or X (formerly known as Twitter, rip) could be used as instructional or educational resources?
Until next week!
Best,
Adri xx
References:
Hu, S., Torphy, K. T., Opperman, A., Jansen, K., & Yun-Jia, L. (2018). What do teachers share within Socialized Knowledge Communities: a case of Pinterest. Journal of Professional Capital and Community, 3(2), 97-122. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPCC-11-2017-0025
I'm not sure whether American teachers use IG for sharing instructional materials, but in South Korea, it's very common. When I was a novice teacher there, many teachers shared their lesson content and worksheets for free through IG, and I was the one who followed their accounts. I think novice teachers tend to be young and already used to IG, and this way of sharing materials worked very well for them.
ReplyDelete